Civil Liberties & Human Rights
At the core of our values is a belief that that the rights guaranteed to suspects, defendants, offenders and prisoners in our justice system are fundamental human rights that protect us all from governmental abuse of power.
At BSB we are committed to upholding these rights.
For anyone under investigation by the agencies of the state, lawyers are often the only people they can turn to protect their rights.
At BSB we have made our reputation from our track record in challenging the decisions of public bodies such as Courts, Local Authorities and Public Bodies.
Examples of our work in this field include;
- Jon Black has been involved in cases challenging the legality of decisions to prosecute parents under the Education Act, for failing to ensure their children attend school.
- James Skelsey has also been involved in challenging the scope of Anti-Social Behaviour Orders.
- Richard Parry is an experienced Civil Liberties campaigner and legal representative for the London Defence Monitoring Group and involved in the Anti-Cuts Group.
- Richard and other human rights lawyers at BSB, such as Paul Butcher have represented protestors arrested as a result of public protests.
- Richard has also defended individuals involved in the May Day. G20 and Genoa protests. He is a regular attendee at conferences where police policy to policing protests is discussed and challenged, and a vocal opponent of excessive policing tactics.
“Wonderful experience. Knowledgeable and responsiveness with a great outcome.
I hired BSB firm to represent me in a TfL fare case in October 2018. James provided an excellent service and put his excellent knowledge to help me get the best results in something that could have effected my whole professional and personal life in the UK.
We discussed everything that happened and even thought was a hard case he built a strong defense we the results could not have been better.” January 2019
“Really great service and very professional. Turned things around very quickly and were the most efficient solicitors I have ever dealt with. Would certainly recommend.”
V.S November (2018)
BSB represented me for what I consider to be the most difficult 9 months of my life. There understanding, support and most crucially legal expertise was of enormous comfort to me. I knew the immense hard work they were putting in would mean my representation was the best available. I would recommend BSB to anyone needing legal representation.